Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Allure

One of my shortcomings is that I can be pretty happy no matter where I am. There is always some potential to pull me from the orbit of my opera career and get me to settle down. In the case of Fairbanks, it is the allure of self-sufficiency. Many of the people that I meet have built there own homes.

They hunt moose and catch fish and can and preseve. It is a very interesting way to live.

Sunday was a big meet the artists party... Fairbanks-style. After singing a couple of arias and ensembles, we were treated to moose bugers, venison sausage and freshly caught salmon and halibut. All of it was caught or killed by one of the board members who then cooked it for 104 guests. The food was incredible.

As it turns out, one cannot buy moose- rather you have to get it as a gift or barter from a hunter. Likewise, you can't buy fresh caught fish at the grocery store. After searching high and low, I finally convinced a local to fill me on the real truth. If you don't know someone with a fish wheel, you can try to go to the corner of Farmer's Loop and Steese and buy it out of the back of any fisherman's truck!

That is the allure for me. To discover the nuances of his town. To adapt to the lifestyle and eventually learn to survive off the land.

Unfortunately, I have no skill with such things and I'd probably end up wintering on the Magic Bus. But for now it is exciting to visit and let my imagination run wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment