Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Literally Impossible?

Here I am, faced with learning the role of Nemorino in the Elixir of Love.  I know the opera from my first year as an apprentice when I covered the role and now I get to take my first shot at singing it.

I started working on my "book."  In the past, I have done operas and roles that were from a distinct time period or based on a historical record or perhaps based on an old romance novel (I'm looking at you Lucia di Lammermoor).  There was always a wealth of leads to pursue as I mapped out my character.

Elixir seems to be a bit more of a cipher.  One score says that it is set in an Italian Village and another says it is set in Basque Country.  Both sources say that it is set at the end of the 18th Century.

One of the joys and challenges of the show is that, while the settings are noted, there is not much in the score's libretto that keeps the show strictly within that time period and location.  I watched a couple of videos and read reviews and it seems like this show is set in all sorts of different ways.

And so I find myself at a crossroads:  Do I simply try to map out my character without looking at time or place?  Or do I look at the life of peasants in the Basque region at the end of the 18th Century?

Are there any tenors out there who read this blog?  Have you performed the role before?  What is your take?  Did you do a traditional production or something avant guard?

If you have a moment, could you post your thoughts on the role below or on my Facebook page?

No comments:

Post a Comment