Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Surprising and Delightful

Despite a brief evacuation for Hurricane Irene, I must say, things have been a little quiet around New York City.  The opera world is in "hurry up and wait mode"-- auditions are around the corner and I'm waiting to hear back on a ton of old auditions.

In the meantime, imagine my surprise when my wife returned from a quick run out to Chinatown with a new (and now favorite) cheap treat, Kam Man's Stewed Wheat Gluten Kao-foo Five Spice.  It tastes much much better than the name might make you think.

Why was this so special?  I have been in quite a rut lately.  I go to Prosperity for dumplings, Banh Mi Saigon for Vietnamese Sandwiches and Fay Da for pastries.  I know, tough life.  It took a new treat to realize that I've been getting a little predictable.


3 comments:

  1. Um, yes, I will have to take your word for the "fact" that the stewed wheat gluten stuff tastes better than it sounds. Then again it sounds really, really bad so I guess there's nowhere to go but up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey WB, It's totally vegetarian... it could interest you at some point. We've experimented a lot with wheat gluten at home. This was, by far, superior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it was so good we went back for seconds the next day. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

    ReplyDelete