Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

? of the Week- April 10, 2011

Macaroons.

Not just any Macaroons, though, Buttered Popcorn Macaroons.  Invented by my little neighborhood bakery, Desserts by Michael Allen, this is the item that is going to make them famous.  You heard it here first.

When my family and I moved to New York, we made every effort to explore the city in as much depth as possible.  I'm proud to say that, over the course of a number of years, we explored neighborhoods as far south as Sheepshead Bay and Coney Island to Arthur Street in the Bronx.  We drove out to the wineries of Long Island and travelled through upstate to Patterson and Connecticut.

Our neighborhood does have fantastic Caribbean food and fried chicken (served from behind bullet-proof glass at some establishments).  We have tried our local Halal buffets and we shed a tear when Kush Cafe changed to the Hill Cafe.  We lost a real gem of Pan-African French food.

Through the years, though, Desserts by Michael Allen has been a stalwart.  We visit them whenever we can and I had my birthday treats from them for the past few years.  With their invention of this macaroon, I really believe that this bakery could become a genuine attraction, possibly as legendary as Red Velvet from Cake Man Raven or Magnolia for cupcakes or Sullivan Street Bakery for foccaccia.

And so, to you, my delicious buttered popcorn macaroon, I congratulate your elevation to "? of the Week."

No comments:

Post a Comment