Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Letters to my Mentors, Part 1. Starting Out.

Dear Mentor,

When I was still a boy, and a child soprano, I was featured on the radio singing Silent Night with my choir.  This solo, and what happened subsequently, planted the seed in my mind that perhaps my calling was music.  I followed this path to where I am today and I am grateful for the journey that started as you offered me my first paid, professional position.

As it turned out, you studied and performed American Parlor Songs, and enjoyed the novelty songs from the turn of the century.  You had many Victrola and shared with me crackly music on wax tubes.  I had never heard anything quite like that before and I still enjoy old recordings and dream of owning my own Victrola or record player.

After contacting me via my choir director, my mom took me over to your place where the three of us looked at your song, "Sandy the Christmas Cat."  I learned it quickly and after the session you asked me if I would like to record the song to help you get published.  You offered me my first paycheck, a hundred dollars.  At the time, it was a shocking amount of money.

During the next year, I had my first studio recording session with professional musicians from the Eastman School of Music.  We recorded the song a bunch of times and then you edited it and sent me a cassette tape (now lost).

Later that year, you gave me the opportunity to record "The Sandy Cat Walk."  I was in 5th grade and very shortly after, my voice changed.  I am profoundly grateful that I have these records of my childhood voice.  If I can find the tape, I'll add it here.

It was during 6th grade that you died of a heart attack.  You had already had several heart attacks but the last one was too much for you to recover from.

Your wife welcomed us one last time to your home and I was able to see those Victrolas one last time.  She gave me a small paper weight that I still keep in my office. 
The pennies suspended in it are a reminder of my time with you and my first opportunity to earn money as a professional singer.

Sincerely,
Eapen

No comments:

Post a Comment