Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Non-Profit Start-up 1.1

"Are you thinking about turning the Denver Art Song Project into a non-profit?" my friend asked.

I paused for a moment and my mind raced through all we had accomplished in 2015--  A successful release on Bandcamp led to our digital release of a full album on iTunes, Spotify, and many other digital platforms.  The Denver Art Song Project's first recital which incorporated songs, a piano solo, supertitles and curated art paired with chatting with the audience and a Q&A followed the release.  A third trip to the studio to begin our next cycle of releases for 2016 had already begun.

"Yes," I said, "I have thought about it.  But I don't know where to begin or how.  I suppose I should take a stab at it."

"Well, if you do, please add me to your mailing list.  I would love to support your next projects."

"And that is the kick the pants that I need to get started.  Thank you." I replied.

And so today, I start the first step in moving the Denver Art Song Project from a strange little business to something else.  I am starting with a whole lot of googling.  In this series of posts, I'll be sharing with you as much as I can about the process.  I'll talk about the process of getting registered with the State of Colorado, the IRS, developing By-Laws, enticing victims volunteers to be a part of the Board of Trustees.

At the same time, I'm going to... take a deep breath... share my feelings about the process of setting up a non-profit that is dedicated to the niche of the niche of Classical Music.  I'll open up about my fears of fundraising, the complexities of grant writing and all of the joys that keep me going and the small failures that will make me want to give up.

Thanks for following along and thanks for supporting the Denver Art Song Project and Eapen Leubner's opera career.

2 comments:

  1. Sharing feelings! Wow! Can't wait. :)

    Also, my step-mom knows a thing or two about grant writing, and I'm sure she'd be happy to share info with you if you are interested.

    Best of luck to you! Let me know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks WB! I'll catch up with you when I get home. I'd love to get some feedback. I'm in the learning stages still. It is far more complicated than I thought!

    ReplyDelete