Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Interview with Tom Cipullo, Pt. 3



As Mr. Cipullo is asked about his influences, I think back to a conversation that I had with a castmate that once we sorted out the challenges of counting measures and beats, the music of this opera becomes immensely singable.  There are all sorts of cues in the orchestra part that can help inform your entrances and cutoffs.  The learning curve was steep at first, but after awhile, I started to stitch large pieces of the show in mind.

I've only done a few modern operas.  As a younger singer, I sang the role of Kaspar in Amahl and the Night Visitors.  (Chelsea Opera took their Amahl to Los Angeles for my first touring show).  My first experience with a 20th century opera, though was Robert Ward's Roman Fever as an undergraduate music student.  It is a fascinating show and I played the smallest part, a waiter.  I also was not a terribly good musician at that point in my life and the counting and tonality were a constant challenge.  I wish I could say that I was amazing in the part.  I was simply o.k. because I was legitimately held back by my lack of musical discipline.

I'll continue to watch and post these video series.  They are a great resource for my blog and for my "book."

Oh, because you are wondering, the greatest "modern opera" experience so far?  Hanging 30 feet above the stage on a rope net as I was a sailor in the chorus of Billy Budd at Seattle Opera.  I could have seriously fallen on my head.  It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment