Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Interview with Tom Cipullo, Pt. 4



I might get  a little to theoretical in these posts, but since theory is not my strongest suite, I am hopeful that we won't get too bogged down.

I have a list of themes in my book.  If I was talking about an opera by Wagner, I might call them "leitmotifs."  As we have been going through the score, if I hear another actor's line of music in the orchestra, I write the words down in that spot.  It is a clue as to some of the subtext that is going on in the drama of the show.  These clues don't necessarily give an exact opinion, they simply give a starting point for discussions among the cast and directors as to what we want to try to accomplish in the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment