Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

But why?

Why are you an opera singer?

I had sung with a children's choir at a young age and, as a boy, sang on some professional recordings and jingles. When I found out at that young age that someone could actually get paid to sing, the idea stuck in my head.

That isn't the reason, though. My quick answer? Because I'm a terrible rock-and-roll singer.


Seriously? That's the reason. I didn't grow up wanting to be an opera singer.

My role models were (in this order): Robert Plant and Axl Rose. To this very day, hearing "D'yer Mak'er" makes me want to give up opera. After my voice settled down, my sophomore year in high school exposed to a wide variety of music. I learned my first art songs, sang a bunch of musical theater, became involved in jazz choir and show choir. During my junior year, I was Seymour Krelbourn in a really awesome high school production of "Little Shop of Horrors." I know, I know... everyone's high school production was amazing. We won some awards and one of my co-stars went on to sing on Broadway. There was not a weak link in the entire cast. It was my first taste of being a star. I wouldn't say I handled it very well, but I was sixteen and you live and you learn.

That whole time, all I wanted to do was be the lead singer in a hard rock band. Unfortunately, my few times trying were abject failures. I may be able to carry a tune, but there is a certain style and confidence that you need. I simply didn't have it. I once was a guest singer for a band. I definitely brought them down. They were way better than me. I apologize to all those who were subjected to my terrible rendition of "More than Words" and that great band that had to back me up and one of my best friends (to this day) who sang the harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment