Menu

Return to Eapen Leubner.com. Find out more about the Denver Art Song Project. Buy recordings of the Denver Art Song Project.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Col. Floyd J. Thompson, Pt. 2

Work continues on Glory Denied and I am finding that my usual use of the book is helpful, but remarkably different than usual.

The opera does not take place in a linear fashion and so, after mapping out the whole opera in my own words (see Part 3), I am now looking at each fragment and trying to put them into a narrative order that matches the actual historical course of events.

As I mentioned in my first post, the version of Jim Thompson that I play seems idealized.  He is the ideal soldier in captivity, he is deeply religious, he has a pure belief in three things that help him survive: faith in God, faith in country, faith in the love of a good woman.

As I continue to dive into the text, I am now starting to think that there is a real arc to my character.  Initially, he seems idealized and as the opera proceeds, he is slowly transformed into the Older Thompson.  It could be that the whole concept of a Younger Thompson dies or disappears into those false memories of the past that we all carry with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment